Wine/Value of a case of wine

Hi, I recently came into possession of a unopened case of wine. The writing on the box says it is "12 bottles of Still White Burgundy net contents 2G.2 Produce of France. Shipped by Alexis Lichine Margaux France. Chablis Vaillon 1953 M. Servin. So I was just wondering if you knew the ballpark value.

What you have is a wine that is very old for a white. The odds strongly favor it's being totally shot. However, it's a Premier Cru Chablis from a good importer and a fairly good vintage. I don't know how it's been stored, but you might want to try a bottle and see if it's held up. If it has it may be worth something (and it may be fabulous). In pristine, very drinkable condition you may be looking at an auction value of $100 a bottle or more.  

Joshua Farrell

I can answer most any question about wine- types, styles, grape varieties, regions, vintages, proper storage, production, wine and food pairing, wine service, decanting, proper glassware, serving temperatures etc. Regarding questions about specific bottles of wine, since I live in the U.S. my focus is on wines imported here. I can't answer questions about spirits and liquor valuations.

I have over 20 years of experience. I was a wine buyer and sommelier in NYC for many years including 4 years at Windows on the World which was NY's number one wine restaurant. I created and taught a Wine Appreciation Course at Borough of Manhattan Community College. I have worked for the past 15 years for the Wine Enthusiast Cos. as Editor, Columnist, Wine Storage Consultant and am currently Wine Director and Buyer for their online wine website, I recently judged in the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. Follow me on Twitter @WEX_Josh

Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Diversions Magazine

Windows on the World Wine School- completed all courses from beginning to advanced. Former member of the Sommelier Society of NY. Competed in the Food and Wines of France Sommelier Competition. Traveled to wine regions in Europe including, Bordeaux, Rhone Valley, Alsace, Tuscany, Piedmont, Veneto, Rioja, and Jerez. Visited wine regions in NY's Finger Lakes, California's Sonoma, Napa and Central Coast and Oregon's Willamette Valley.