Wine/value & sell 1976 & 1980 Dom Perignon

I have a bottle of 1976 & 1980 Champagne Cuvee Dom Perignon Moet et Chandon a Epernay, France, which has been in the cellar (50 degrees or below), on a wine rack away from the light since its purchase.  My father purchased these years ago and since his death I now have them, also in a 50 degree cellar, and would like to know their value and sell them as I do not care to keep them.  I live in Massachusetts, USA and would appreciate your advice on how to go about selling them and their value.  Thank you, Al

Hi Al,

Replacement values for these would be around $600 for the superb '76 and $300 for the rather lesser '80, plus taxes.

I don't think you'll find it difficult to sell yours, given the good storage you descibe; Wine Commune ( would probably be happy to help you.

Don't forget to allow for their commission charges.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.