Wine/value & sell 1976 &1980 Dom Perginon

I have a bottle of 1976 & 1980 Champagn Cuvee Dom Perignon  Moet et Chandon a Epernay France, which has been in the cellar (50 degrees or below), on a wine rack away from the light since its purchase.  My father purchased these years ago and since his death I now have them, also in a 50 degree cellar, and would like to know their value and sell them as I do not care to keep.  I live in Massachusetts and would appreciate your advice on how to go about selling and their value.   Thank you, Al

These are wonderful wines, but they are also getting very long in the tooth.  Thank goodness that you have stored them properly!

But even with perfect storage, these are very old wines, and every collector knows that purchasing such wines is always a risk. That's why values are so hard to estimate.  In the USA, it is illegal for private individuals to sell alcholic beverages, so you'll have to work through an auction house ( for a nice commission ) or trade them to a fine wine retailer, who won't pay your retail value.  

In either case, you won't get the full value, but only a portion of it.  I'd estimate these at something around $250-400 each, but you probably will net far less than that.

I wish I had better news for you about the value---but with your storage conditions the wines should be stunning.  It might make more sense to give them to someone who really loves good bubbly.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.