Wine/value and how to sell bottles of wine

Question
David,  Cleaning out my father's house I found many bottles of wine he kept in the cellar in a wine rack, temp 50 degrees, and now I have them and I would like to know are they worth anything and if so how to go about selling them. I live in Massachusetts, USA and do not know if it is ok for me to sell, not sure about the law. Would like to sell in an aution if they are worth $$ or do I just drink them? This is what I have:
Godorniu Blanc De Blancs Method Champange Brut, Spain, 1981

Dom Yago Brut Spain 1987

Korbel California, Champagne Brut #323232

Asti Tosti 2000 Italian Sparkling Wine

Chantaine Brut Cordon Royal, France

All of these are 20 or so old.

Appreciate your assistance,   Louise

Answer
Hi Louise,

Under US law, you could only sell these via a licenced auctioneer or wine merchant but they all set minimum value thresholds so that they have a chance of making a commission or profit when the wines are bought by the consumer.

However, this selection from your dad's collection would have been bought at low-cost originally and I'm afraid I can't see much value remaining in these wines as none of them was intended for long keeping - and certainly not for 20 years. Thus I don't think you'll find it easy to sell them; sorry!

I'd try them, but with caution as you may find these sparklers have all lost most of their fizz and developed an unpleasant flabbiness and off flavors.

David

PS: I assume your dad may have more than these 5 bottles so please come back if you want with the full list in case you have overlooked some gems.

D
.

Wine

David Ling