Wine/1976 Tytell Chevalier Grand Vin Bordeaux

Question
I have come across 1976 Tytell Chevalier Grand Vin Bordeaux recently and want to know if this wine is still ok to drink. Bottled and shipped by Ets.. Monarch Francais.

Answer
Hi Francella

Despite the name, this is not one of the great wines of Bordeaux.  It's a negociant brand--a blended wine that was made for drinking in the near term, rather than aging for almost forty years.  

Sad to say, this one is almost certainly over the hill.  It might still have a bit of charm, but the fruit will have died back, the aromas faded, and the color will be pale and possibly turning brown.  If it were mine I would open it up some night and see what it had to offer, but I would also have a back-up bottle on hand, just in case.

Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner