Wine/2001 McLaren Vale Pirramimma Shiraz

Mr. Ling:
Thank you for your time in answering my inquiry. A couple that are great friends gave us the above bottle from South Australia, many years ago with a note attached that says that we should age this no less than 10 years? We are thinking of opening this with a great grilled peppered rib eye and was wondering how much the value of this should be now and what to expect when we open it.
Many Thanks

Hi Robert,

This was a thoughful present so I hope you've kept it properly, lying down in a cool dark place.

I could only guess at a value as Pirramimma isn't widely distributed in the USA so this bottle couldn't be replaced locally. But you might be able to find one for around US$30/50 if you ever visit your friends.

I like your idea of serving this with a peppered rib-eye (cooked rare please!) as the spicy character and depth of this Aussie Shiraz (syn. Syrah) should complement it perfectly. I suggest you stand it up in a cool room for a day before you intend to serve it and then decant it through clean muslin an hour before you dine as it will probably have thrown a deposit over the years.

There's a bit about Pirramimma at that you might like to see.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.