Wine/Two Bottles - Value Inquiry

Question
Santa Rita 120 - 1998
Santa Rita 120 - 1998  

Mouton-Cadet - 1986
Mouton-Cadet - 1986  
Hello!  I recently found several bottles of wine and liquor in the back of my mother-in-law's liquor cabinet which were particularly old.  

The first is completely in Spanish.  The label (see attached) says "120" at the very top, followed by a seal and the words, "Santa Rita; Cabernet Sauvignon; 1998; D.O. Valle Central".  It is from Chile.

The second bottle is in English (imported by Palace Brands Company).  The label (attached) says, "BARON PHILIPPE DE ROTHSCHILD S.A.; 1986; Mouton-Cadet; Bordeaux: Appellation Bordeaux Controlee"

Both bottles (to the best of my knowledge) have been stored upright indoors in an air conditioned household.  My first question is whether you can give me a general idea of what they might be worth.  For my second question, could you point me in the right direction as to how I would go about selling them?  Thank you very much.

Answer
Hi Dave

Neither of these is a great wine, and neither was made with the idea of long-term aging in mind. They both sold for under $10 a bottle when they were released, and were intended for drinking within a few years of that release.  They aren't worth any more than that now...possibly less. And there is more bad news.  Storing wine upright means that the cork can dry out and lose the airtight seal. You can't see this from the outside, but the wine inside will almost certainly have been exposed to air---and turned a color that is as much brown as it is red.  

Since it is illegal for private individuals to sell wine in the USA, you'll have to work through a retailer or a fine wine auction house.  They won't have interest in these wines.

I am sorry to be the bearer of this news...but these whould have been drunk years ago.

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner