Wine/Champagne 1947

Question
QUESTION: Hi, when we bought our house is France we found a bottle of champagne dating from 1947 the bottle is still full and the labels are intact. The label says " De Venoge & cie, Vve de mun, Extra quality brut, 1947, Epernay, Produce of France. I was wondering if you had any idea how much this bottle is worth? I will send you a photo if this information isnt enough.
Thankyou.

ANSWER: Hi Bethany,

It's very diffcult to estimate the value of old Champagne as so much depends on the physical appraisal of the bottle in terms of level, lable, colour and capsule - but this is from a famous vintage and a reputable producer so a pristine bottle would attract substantial interest at a specialist wine auction.

One auctioneer in France who might be able to value this for you would be Artcurial (http://www.artcurial.com/en/departments/wines_and_spirits/) so I suggest you contact them as the first step. I'd rather not speculate about the catalogue figure they might suggest though.

David
.

QUESTION: Sorry one quick question, last weekend we got in contact with the DE VENOGE people and asked them if they were interested and they offerd us 100€ do you think they are trying to get a bargain? I understand if you dont want to comit yourself to a price or anything, i will try and contact the people in the link you sent me tomorrow.

Bethany

Answer
Hi Bethany,

Your call but I'd be a willing seller if someone offered me 100€ without even appraising the bottle.

It might attract higher bids at auction but don't forget you'd have to pay commission and other selling costs that way, even if it was accepted by the auction house.

David
.

Wine

David Ling