Wine/champagne

Question
hello I was cleaning mams house recently when I came across a bottle of champagne I brought back from america in 1988 and I want to know if it is worth anything if not would it still be ok to drink it is a bottle of LA GRAND DAME 1979 still in its box and is from veuve clicquot ponsardin of france

Answer
HI Graham
This is really lovely stuff. With perfect storage conditions this wine might actually last this long...but I wonder if you have kept it very dark, cool and quiet?  If not, it might still have some charm, but won't capture the full value of the bottle.  Even the best Champagnes begin to show their age after twenty-five years, and I worry that this one might now be on the downside of its trajectory. At auction, a perfect bottle of this is worth more than $200...but its rare for a single bottle from a private collector to sell at top value.  

BUt it certainly won't hurt you.  If it were mine, I would chill it down and serve it on a very special occasion in the next year or so.  And I would have a back up bottle on hand, just in case.

Hope that helps?

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner