Wine/cresta blanca wines

I am a collector of bar stuff and old liquor bottles. For christmans I recieved a 3/8 pint bottle of Cresta Blanca claret superior. I guess I am just trying to find out about it. Is there any why of telling how old it is? It has a state of Illinois tax stamp on it. The seal on the top appears to be intact. Would it still be drinkable? Well any information you can send would be great. Thanks for taking the time to read my E-mail.

Hi Mark,

Firstly, apologies for the late reply but this has only just been posted in the Question Pool.

This bottle might be of historic interest as I think Cresta Blanca is now known as Wente, but maybe one of my American colleagues can correct me?

I don't think you enjoy drinking it as it is obviously way past its prime. BTW its not Claret as that term only applies to the red wines of Bordeaux; nor is it 'Claret Superior' as these's no such thing, whatever the label may say.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.