Wine/Finding an old cognac bottle

Question
Hi Paul,

I was wondering if you might be able to help me out.  I am trying to find an old bottle of cognac for my dad's retirement.  I noticed that there was an 1878 bottle that a reader asked you about.  Is it at all possible to connect with a person who posted a picture of a bottle such as this 1878 bottle.  I believe this person would like to sell the bottle, but I don't know of a way to contact him.  Is it possible to e-mail him or for him to e-mail me at

Many Thanks,
Patrick

Answer
Hi Patrick

That's a tough one.  Privacy laws prevent me from divulging anyone's email address or contact information here, so my hands are tied.  And then you have the additional complication of the fact that it is illegal for private individuals to sell alcoholic beverages in the USA. It's also illegal to buy them from a private individual.

But you have asked this question, and it should show up on the question history list.  SO if the original poster sees it, he or she might be able to contact you in some way.

IN the meantime, you might check with some of the legal on-line wine auctions--there are a few that offer individual bottles for sale.  Or contact a fine wine retailer in your local area---often they will have something special in the back room that isn't on the shelf...or they know where to get it.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner