Wine/Piper Heidsieck Brut Vintage 1979

Piper Heidsieck #1
Piper Heidsieck #1  

Piper Heidsieck #2
Piper Heidsieck #2  
I have a bottle of Piper Heidsieck Vintage Brut 1979 and am wondering the value and whether or not it is possible to sell it and if so, how would one do that?  I have been searching on the Internet and cannot locate a bottle that resembles mine - - and it is not "Rare" it actually says "Vintage" in a banner on the face of the bottle.  The label is gold with some burgundy accent and the neck is mainly gold with some burgundy toward the bottom of the neck.  The word "Brut" only appears on the back label.  Its been stored on its side in a cool location.  What's really odd is that on the back label there is a white SKU bar# built into the label and it seems out of place...I didn't think they had SKU bars on bottles in 1979?  Sorry I dont have a full shot right now but I can take one tonight so you can see the banner if that will help.

Hi Laura,

This is from a good vintage but I'd only be guessing if I suggested a sale value at auction as only the 'Rare' cuvée is still available from merchants.

I suggest you take it into a NYC specialist wine auctioneer sometime they are having a free valuation day, for example: Acker Merrall & Condit, 160 West 72nd Street, New York, NY 10023.

(They may not feel the potential sale value of a single bottle reaches their minimum price threshold but there's no harm in asking.)

I can't help regarding the SKU code I'm afraid as this stocktaking and inventory system is specific to retailers and manufacturers. (See

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.