Wine/Royal Cuvee 1990 Brut Millennium Library Edition

QUESTION: Hello Jashaua,

I recently received a Champagne gift set for a wedding gift. Its a Royal Cuvee 1990 Brut Millennium Library Edition that has 2 flutes that have 24kt gold decorations on them. It looks a little like a stain glass window with a few other colors too. My new wife and I were told that the set may be valuable. Do you know any about this particular set or do you know where I may go to check its value.

Thank you for your time,

ANSWER: Marcus,
Your gift sounds very lovely. Every year sparkling wine makers and importers out do themselves coming up with gift sets for the holidays. For the most part the glasses are not valuable unless there is an indication of value on the package, e.g. Riedel Glasses, Bacarat Crystal, etc., The primary value for these gifts are the wine. And since you did not tell me the maker of the champagne I can't assess the value.  

Gloria Ferrer 1990 Brut
Gloria Ferrer 1990 Bru  
QUESTION: Thank you for answering my question so fast. Here is some additional information on the wine set. the classes are "one of a kind antique" made by Tirge Jiu. The wine is by Gloria Ferrer.

Thank you again,

That is indeed a very handsome gift. The sparkling wine is from a California producer and so is less valuable than actual Champagne. Probably between $20-$30. The glassware looks stunning and is from a city in Romania known for its glassware. Still it is not actually antique glassware so probably not valuable; perhaps another $25-$35

Joshua Farrell

I can answer most any question about wine- types, styles, grape varieties, regions, vintages, proper storage, production, wine and food pairing, wine service, decanting, proper glassware, serving temperatures etc. Regarding questions about specific bottles of wine, since I live in the U.S. my focus is on wines imported here. I can't answer questions about spirits and liquor valuations.

I have over 20 years of experience. I was a wine buyer and sommelier in NYC for many years including 4 years at Windows on the World which was NY's number one wine restaurant. I created and taught a Wine Appreciation Course at Borough of Manhattan Community College. I have worked for the past 15 years for the Wine Enthusiast Cos. as Editor, Columnist, Wine Storage Consultant and am currently Wine Director and Buyer for their online wine website, I recently judged in the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. Follow me on Twitter @WEX_Josh

Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Diversions Magazine

Windows on the World Wine School- completed all courses from beginning to advanced. Former member of the Sommelier Society of NY. Competed in the Food and Wines of France Sommelier Competition. Traveled to wine regions in Europe including, Bordeaux, Rhone Valley, Alsace, Tuscany, Piedmont, Veneto, Rioja, and Jerez. Visited wine regions in NY's Finger Lakes, California's Sonoma, Napa and Central Coast and Oregon's Willamette Valley.