Wine/Ruby Port

I recently acquired a sealed bottle of Porto Donaldo Ruby Port.  There is no vintage date on the label.  It was bottled in Portugal for Zimmerman's in Chicago.  It has a duty (?) seal on the neck with the serial# FG 868578.  The label is black with white lettering.  Also printed on the label is the following:

Produced, Bottled & Shipped by:
The Douro Wine Shippers and Growers Association, LTD.
Vila Nova De Gaia

I'd like to know what you can tell me about whether it is likely to be good to drink, what is it's potential dollar value, and if it is collectable enough to sell.  I'm not sure whether I'd try to sell it or drink it!  I think I can send a picture if that would help

Hi Mark,

Donaldo is a brand of Hutcheson Feuerheerd, but it would be difficult for you to sell any Ruby Port as these are basic blends from several years and it's not likely that the potential value of a single bottle would reach the minimum thresholds set by auctioneers.

I'd try it, hoping that it isn't so old that it's lost the fresh fruitiness that should be typical of a Ruby.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.