Wine/ruby port

I have a bottle of KWV Full Ruby port that I bought in SA about 6 years ago and I brought it to Milton Keynes England with me. It hasn't been opened and I would like to know if it will still be ok to drink.

Hi Dorothy,

As Ports are fortified as part of the production process, they have a much longer life than table wines so there's no reason why this shouldn't still be enjoyable - although it may have lost a little of its original freshness.

There's a bit about the wine at that you might like to see.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.