Wine/Tawny port

I have come across a bottle of 'old liqueur port - vintage 1933. From Hoffmanns North Para Wines Pty Ltd Est. 1847.
The label has the following information:
Matured in American oak pipes, this fine old tawny port has risen from 31/2 deg. Beaume to over 7-deg. Beaume during maturation.
Blended from Barossa Valley Shiraz Mataro and Grenache

Can you tell me anything about this wine please?

Hi Monica,

This might be of historical interest in view of its age but Australian 'Ports' aren't really my field as they are very different from the real stuff from Portugal, made from a very different blend of grapes.

I suggest you ask Langton's ( what catalogue value they'd suggest for this bottle as a potential entry into one of their fine wine auctions or offer it to Isle of Wine ( as they specialise in Australian 'Ports' and might be willing to buy it for stock or sell it for you on commission terms.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.