Wine/Value of a Baron Philippe de Rothschild

Hi David,

I found in our Grandfather's home a wooden box with two wines in it. The first is a 1989 Braves Baron Phillipe de Rothschild S.A. and the second is a 1988 Medoc Baron Philippe de Rothschild S.A.

My grandfather lives in Southern California and I assume the wine was given to him as a gift.

Question: Is the red drinkable (I assume the white is not) and is there any collectable value to these two bottles.

Hi Ed,

These are both low-cost merchant blends so I'm afraid you might find it difficult to sell them in the USA as the potential value probably wouldn't reach auction houses' minimum thresholds.

I'd try them for the experience, but with caution as they are now rather old for what they are and you may not want to finish the bottles.

Regards and Happy New Year.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.