Wine/Vintage Champagne Value

I have inherited a 1941 Vintage bottle of Special Cuvee Veuve A.Devaux Champagne.  Can you tell me whether it is anything special and whether it also has any value.  Or should we just drink it and enjoy.

I have also inherited 10 bottles of 1996 Chateau Grand-Jean bottled for the University of Keele Senior Common Room.  I think it is a claret.  I am unable to find anything out about this wine.  Any advice you could preovide would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Paul,

Devaux is now a co-operative label produced by the Union Auboise but your bottle comes from the previous era of family ownership that might make it of interest to collectors if the bottle is pristine in terms of colour, label, level and capsule. However, 1941 was a fairly poor Champagne vintage made in trying times and this is now very old indeed for a Champagne of this class so it might prove difficult to sell. It might be worth seeking a professional opininion from Bid for Wine ( but I'd open it for the experience - hoping that it had retained its fizz, a clear pale colour and a clean yeasty nose.

Chateau Grand-Jean is a fairly basic Bordeaux from the Entre-deux-Mers district that will not have cost much originally and wasn't intended for long keeping. It should still be enjoyable though if its been kept lying down in a cool dark place.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.