Wine/Vintage port valuation

Hi David,
I have a bottle of Souza 1970 vintage port bottle by Vieira de Souza & CA. It's a bottle that has been in the family for a number of years and we're considering opening it for Christmas. Before doing so I'd like to know its value and if is drinking well at the moment.

We are located in Newcastle upon Tyne in the uk. I've had a look online but have been unable to find much information about this producer and vintage.

Many thanks

Hi Adam,

This is from a fine vintage that's drinking beautifully at the top level but I'm afraid nobody would rate Souza as such so you may find that this is lighter than you may be expecting. It's a shame that you didn't open it earlier as it may now be some way into decline - with spirit dominating the palate.

I would't hesitate to open it for the experence though.

Good luck!

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.