Wine/Wine Price

Question
I have received a bottle of 1981 Weidener Kaisergarten Trockenbeerenauslese for a wedding present. Curious what it is worth. If you could let me know, I would appreciate it. Paula

Answer
Hi Paula

I have some very sad news for you. This is one of the wines that was identified in the big Austrian wine scandal of twenty years ago.  The producer did not get the grapes quite ripe enough on the vine, and so he added Diethyline Glycol to this wine to beef up the sweetness and body. Unfortunately, that's not a product that is safe for human consumption, and the FDA insisted that this wine be pulled from the shelves.  There's a fair amount of information about this on the web if you are interested in the full back story.

I am sorry to have to give you this news, but I wouldn't drink that wine.

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner