Wine/1962 wine

Question
Hello Mr Ling,
 I have a bottle of wine that I have been saving to open on my 50th wedding anniversary. That will be 10 more years. I was wondering if it would even have a pleasing taste or should I sell it or throw it out. I saved it in a bottom drawer of a dresser laying on its side between some folded sheets. The label is readable though a little worn around the edges. It was distributed by Schieffelin & Co New York and shipped by Sichel & Fils Freres. It was produced and bottled in France. The label reads Grand vin de Bourgogne (as best that I can make out the script) 1962 nuits-saint-georges. I don't have a picture but in the middle of the label is a red or orange circle with some print inside it and in the middle of that circle is what appears to be a large black S with 2 red lines going from top to bottom like a dollar sign.I hope this is enough information to give me advise as to what to do with this bottle of wine or what the value might be if I were to sell it. I live in the USA in the state of Michigan. Also I tried to measure how far the wine is from the cork.I believe its between 1 and 3/4 " to 2". Thank you so much for your time.

Answer
Hi Betty,

I'm afraid I wouldn't be confident that there's another 10 years of life left in this so I suggest you celebrate your 40th instead.

I don't think you'd find it easy to sell a single bottle of any '62 NSG below the Premiers Crus level (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuits-Saint-Georges_wine), although it was a superb vintage, as a negotiant blend such as yours would be unlikely to reach auctioneers' minimam value thresholds.

David  

Wine

David Ling