Wine/1987 Marilyn Merlot pricing

Question
I have two bottles of 1987 Marilyn Merlot. I have reserched many sites for information on pricing them.  They range from $200 to $2500  I purchased them from a wine and liquor store (now out of business)in 1992.  I do not know how properly kept they were, prior to my purchase. There are no flaws in the labels or cork seals.  There are no visible leaks.  From what I have read, the value is not really in the quality of the wine, but in the overall appearance of the bottle.  In your expert opinion, is this correct?  And if so, what price range would you place them in, knoeing they are in "mint" or "excellent" visable condition.  I don't know if it matters, but I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida.    Yhank you, J.R.

Answer
HI J.R.

I know a great deal about this wine, because a friend of mine made it!  It was a nice wine when it was released, but he never meant for it to be aged for such a long time.  He was always a bit surprised at how popular the wine became.  

You are right, your bottle does not have enormous value for a connoisseur of wines...but fans of Marilyn Monroe collectibles seems to find it really attractive.  I've seen these on ebay for all kinds of prices, from $50 up to way more than that---but I don't know if they sold for those prices.  Most wine auction houses won't sell this wine, because for wine experts it is now pretty much past it prime.

I can only suggest that if you really want to sell it, you could place it on ebay and find out exactly how much a Marilyn Monroe fan might pay for it.  A wine collector won't pay nearly so much...in my estimate, less than $100...

Sorry that I can't give you more help...or better news!

Paul Wagner

Wine

Paul Wagner