Wine/1988 Saint-Marc Margaux

Question
1988 wine
1988 wine  
Hi David

Thank you for your time, I have recently come in possession of a bottle of Chateau Saint-Marc 1988 Margaux, the producer is Marc Faure from Soussans. I have spent many hours online trying to find out some information about the wine and producer but have come up empty handed as all I can find is a 1998 bottle which doesn't help me in the slightest. I you could please let me know any sort of information or costings in regards to this as I would really like to know if it is either good enough to sell or as the bottle was produced on the date of my birth I should save for a special occasion and drink with my loved ones? any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a picture of the bottle as well, hope this helps.

Regards

Nathan Joyce

Answer
Hi Nathan,

This is a minor Margaux that's rarely seen in the UK so maybe it was originlly bought in France?

I don't think it would attract high bids at auction as it is so poorly known here so I think a family celebration is a much better idea. Don't leave it too long though as I'd expect this to be at or approaching its peak now, given that '88 was a vintage that didn't develop quickly but minor wines such as Ch St Marc tend to mature faster than the top ones.

The property grows a typical 50/50 split of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon and has a reputation for sturdiness rather than elegance.

David
.  

Wine

David Ling