Wine/Amandio Ruby Port

amandio port
amandio port  
Hello David,

I recently cleaned out my grandmothers cellar and she had this bottle of Amandio Ruby Port wine.
It is sealed and full but there is no indication of the age of the wine anywhere on the bottle.
I am far from a wine expert and was looking for any info I can get.
I found nothing online that helps.  The info on the bottle is imported by Sonoma vineyards winery - Patterson, Nj...import permit 4-1-17...

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi Bill,

This isn't from a major producer so I'm afraid there's not much I can tell you about them, but Ruby Ports are the basic standard offered by all of them, big or little, old or new.

They are blends produced from wines that have aged in wood for three years and assembled to give a consistent house style. They are at there best within a few years of release, when they retain a good balance of fruit tannin and spirit but decline as the fruit tends to fade and the spirit become dominant so I'm afraid your grandma's bottle will probably be some way into decline.

I'm also concerned that the level appears to be reduced ('Ullaged' in winespeak) indicating that the cork may have dried-out and allowed some evaporation, possibly because the bottle wasn't kept lying down.

It would be impossible to sell this bottle lawfully in the USA so it has no value.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.