Wine/Gilbey port

Just clearing an elderly relative's house and found an old bottle of port. Gilbey Maximum price 14/- . Could it be worth selling or drinking?  Can't see a date anywhere?

Hi Sally,

I'm afraid this would be very difficult to sell as only Vintage Ports from famous houses retain significant value beyond 40 years of age - as this must be as the UK adopted decimal coinage in 1971.

W&A Gilbey's were famous wine and spirits distributors who did much to expand the drinks trade through grocers and off-licences before being taken-over in 1972 by brewers Watney Mann - who in turn became a part of Grand Metropolitan, Guinness and now Diageo.

It wouldn't hurt you to try it but you may not want to finish the bottle as I'd be astonished if much pleasure awaits in a 40+ YO bottle of 'grocers' Port.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.