Wine/my old wine

Question
I recently found a couple of bottles of wine dad had stored away
one is CHATEAU-LASCOMBES 1978 grand cru classe MARGAUX No.07430.

The second CHATEAU CORTON GRANCEY 1978.

I would be greatful for any infomation .
thank you

Answer
Hi Chalie,

I'm afraid your very old Lascombes dates from the period of mismanagement when the then owners, UK brewers Bass Charrington, diverted attention at the property from wine making to other matters. Thus it might prove difficult to sell - and probably won't offer much pleasure if you open it.

The Burgundy might be of more interest if it has been stored properly - lying down in a cool dark place - as it comes from a good vintage, although it too is rather old now.

I suggest you ask Langton's (http://www.langtons.com.au/) what catalogue valuation they'd suggest for these as potential auction entries.

David
.

Wine

David Ling