Wine/Pieroth 1973

Question
We have a bottle of Pieroth it has a red and gold cap with the eagle crest and shield.  ON the upper red label it says 300 Jahre an der Nahe 270 Jahre Wein- tradition

On the red main label it has the crest again of the eagle and shield.  In the top right corner it says  Weinbaugebiet Ersekhalma Bischofsberg.  bottom right hand corner it says 300 Jahre an der Nahe inside a wreath it says Pieroth 1675 and then 270 Jahre Wein - Tradition.  the main label it says 1973 Ersekhalma- Bischolsfsberger underneath that it says Burgundi Kek and underneath that it says Spatburgunder Ausbruch product of Hungry.  Any information will be appreciated.  Thank you Allen Buckley

Answer
Hi Allen,

One of the advantages of the German labelling system is the detailed information it provides, although some translation is necessary if you don't read the language. So:

Pieroth: The name of the party-plan shipper and retailer that supplied it. (A company that's well-known for it's sales techniques!)
Weinbaugebiet: Vineyard.
Ersekhalma: The name of the village in the Danube valley of Hungary the wine comes from. (But it was probably shipped in bulk for bottling by Pieroth at their winery in Germany.)
Bischolsfsberger: The brand name.
Burgundi Kek and Spatburgunder: Hungarian and German synonyms for Pinot Noir - the grape used.
Ausbruch: Austrian term for late-gathered, fully ripe grapes that give a semi-sweet style of wine.

I wouldn't be confident that one from 1973 will still be very enjoyable, given the source.

David
.

Wine

David Ling