Wine/Shelf Life of Charles de Beaucour Brut

We were given a 75cl bottle of Charles de Beaucour Brut in March 2006. We don't know when it was bottled except on the top label is G 1942 and on the main label G 1941 so these may or may not refer to original date.  The main label says Elabore en France, Charles de Beaucour Brut, 10.5%vol, Vin Mousseux, Elaborateur: CFGV 77220 Tournan-en-Brie/France.  We have kept it upright in a dark, cool cupboard in the house and latterly in a cool spot in a normal room out of any sunlight.  Please could you let us know whether, from this information, you are able to say if it is safe to drink and how much longer it could be kept?  Also, is there a value on it, please, I live in England?

Hi Chris,

This is a semi-sparkling Loire fizz and I'm afraid one you've had since 2006 may already be past its best so I'd aim to drink it soon - and certainly not plan extended storage.

It won't do you any harm if you try it but you may not want to finish the bottle if it's declined too far. It would be very difficult to sell a single bottle so, sorry, it has no significant value.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.