Wine/Vintage Champagne

Question
Dear David

A small bottle of Champagne has recently come into my possession following the clearance of my nother's house. It isw hat I beleive to be a half bottle - although there is no voulume on it. The interesting thing about it is the age. My mother was given it for her 21st (in 1962). It is marked as "wine merchants appointed to the late King George VI Hankey, Bannister & Co London" - which would appear to place the age at between 1952 and 1962. There is no year on it. It is still sealed and the seal says "Hankey, Bannister Epernay" on the front, and "Saccone & Speed Ltd London Sole Importers" on the back. The main label states "Champagne" "Dry" "Crown Reserve" "Produce of France" "M.A.2.618.029"
My question is, is this of any value or significance?
I live close to Cambridge but my mother lived in Wraysbury at the time.
Many thanks for any assistance or guidance that you can provide
Anita

Answer
Hi Anita,

This bottle bears two of the most prominent names of the post-war wine trade in the UK but I'm afraid that doesn't add to the very limited appeal that a half bottle of a merchant-blended NV Champagne from the late '50s would have today.

Thus I'm sorry but this has no value.

I suggest you use it to toast your mum - but with care as I would expect this to have declined too far for you to want to finish the bottle although it won't do you any harm if you want to taste it. (It will probably have lost its fizz and developed a brownish colour and an unpleasant aroma of wet cardboard and nail varnish.)

David
.

Wine

David Ling