Wine/Vintage Champagne Valuation

Question
I live in Scotland and own a Magnum of Dom Perignon Vintage 1961 disgorged in 1981 labelled in celebration of Charles & Diana's wedding. The bottle is in it's original box and both box and bottle are in very good condition. I would appreciate a valuation of this item

Answer
Hi Pete,

I'm afraid this once-great DP will be showing its age now so it's difficult to estimate what anyone would be willing to bid at auction for a mag from a private source.

However this might cost in the order of £1750/2000 to replace, judging by the current offers of bottles from reputable UK merchants, if you could find another mag, so I'd expect a reputable wine auctioneer to catalogue yours at around £1000. (If it is pristine in terms of level, colour, lable and capsule.)

I suggest you ask McTear's in Glasgow (http://www.mctears.co.uk/) to appraise the mag as a potential auction entry, or, alternatively, see what the on-line wine auctioneers Bid for Wine (http://www.bidforwine.co.uk/) have to say.

Don't forget to allow for commission.

Good luck!

David
.  

Wine

David Ling