Wine/wine freshness

Question
I work in a wine and spirits warehouse and we are constantly rotating the wine to sell older dates first . My question is , Isn't wine harvested and stored at around the same time every year? And if so , what difference does it make as to what day it is bottled and sold ? it seems to me if it is harvested in say September every year , it shouldn't matter whether it is bottled in February or bottled in June it should still maintain the same freshness and taste ?

Answer
Mitch,

I'm not sure I understand your question entirely. Different wines get different treatment after harvest. For instance a Sauvignon Blanc (a white wine) might get harvested in eptember as you say, and then fermented and aged in tank for 6 months or so and the bottled. While a Cabernet Sauvignon (a red) might get harvested in September or October and after fermentation might be put into oak barrels to age for 12 months to two years. So those two wines from the same vintage (harvest year) will hit the warehouse at very different dates. The other thing we know is that once wines are bottled they begin a maturation process that depending on the wine, can be slow (take many years) or rapid (matter of months to a year or so). Once the maturation process has begun it is important to get the wine out to the consuming public so that they can enjoy it at it optimal stage, be that right away, as in the example of the Sauvignon Blanc I mentioned, or years down the line if a wine is one that will improve with cellaring as in the case of the Cabernet Sauvignon.

Wine

Joshua Farrell