Wine/Charles Heidsieck 1953

Question
Dear David,
I inherited a bottle of champagne (a magnum i think)...from my grandmothers cellar.  Its a Charles Heidsieck vintage 1953  extra dry by royal appointment to his late majesty King George 6.  This was handed  to all the big families in Shropshire at the time after his passing.  The labels are in poor quality and there is a badge on the back with a printed Charles Heidsieck signature.
Could you please tell me if it has any value and who would be most interested in buying it?
Thank you.

Answer
Hi Charles,

It's always difficult to suggest a value for Champagne of this age as a pristine bottle with good colour, label, level and capsule could have significant value as yours is from an outstanding vintage. OTH, one in poor condition would probably have no value at all.

I suggest you have this appraised professionally, perhaps by appointment at J Straker Chadwick's in Abergavenny (http://www.strakerchadwick.co.uk/) who have always served me well and who I know accept auction entries of single bottles from time to time.

Be prepared though for disappointment.

BTW, 'Extra Dry' means 'Off Dry' in Champagnespeak, relative to 'Brut', which really is dry!

David
.  

Wine

David Ling