Wine/Port Wine

Mr.LING,,I have a ROBERTSON'S,Oporto,Portugal , 1945 Vintage Port ,Quinta Do Roncao, bottled in January 1948..Imported & bottled by Julius Wile Sons & Co., Inc., New York, N.Y.,,,,4/5 Quart,Green bottle,Red metal crimped top cover..Can find nothing about the ROBERTSON'S,Oporto,Portugal or Quinta Do Roncao part of the picture..Found things about Wile..How could I get this wine checked for sale purposes ????? HELP ME PLEASE,ThankYou

Hi Jeff,

This is an interesting question as the Robertsons were family friends in the '50s and they introduced me to the joys of Port though a Chistmas-time gift of my first quality Port, their blended Imperial Tawny.

But your bottle is a step up from that as Single-Quinta Ports fall between aged Tawnies and Vintage Ports in the quality scale and are usually made in years when the wine falls just short of the quality level needed for Vintage declaration. (Rabello Valente was Robertson's VP Brand.)

Robertsons were acquired by Sandeman in 1953 but the sale did not include the excellent Q. do Roncao, which was split between the Borges and Noval operations and continues to produce grapes for both, AFIK.

I don't know of any merchants in Florida who specialize in Port so I suggest you ask Wine Commune ( if they'd be interested in selling this bottle for you and what catalogue figure they'd suggest. (Be aware though that they may decline it as it is now very old for a Single Quinta - even one from the outstanding '45 vintage.)

However we COULD be talking four figures USD if you bottle is pristine in terms of level, label and capsule.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.