Wine/RE: Martell V3 ***1980s unopened

Hi I have recently been given a bottle of the 1980 (ROUGH DATE) 3 star VS in I'd say top condition for its age by an elderly relative. It has been stored in a cellar and he may give me other bottles from his collection at later dates. Anyway I would like to know if you could help me date it properly (it has an a in the recess at the bottom) or if you know of anyone interested in buying it from me, I have pictures. I don't know the value of it to be fair. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi Dave,

Martel *** is one of the better Cognacs at the lower price/quality level and is produced in large quantities by blending stocks from various distillations to give a consistent house style. Thus I'm afraid there is no way to date a particular bottle, nor any reason to prefer one bottling to another as spirits don't change after bottling. (Unless the cork fails and allows evaporation.)

However, there is some collector interest in old spring-cap bottlings so it might be worth asking The Whisky Exchange ( if they'd be interested in buying your bottle for stock or selling it on your behalf on commission.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.