Wine/Sandeman port

Question
Hi, I have a bottle of Sandeman Imperial 20 year old,Tawny Port. Bottled in 1987. Is this worth any thing?

Answer
Hi Keith,

Sandeman's 20YO Tawny is often regarded as the star in this company's range but I'm curious about the 'Bottled in 1987' as that is normally only stated for Vintage Ports and Colheitas - Tawnies from a single vintage. But Sandeman had a chequered history in this period, passing from family ownership via Seagrams to Sogrape in 2001 and buying and selling vineyards in an attempt to boost quality and match market demands. So this may have been their policy at the time.

It wouldn't fetch a high price at auction but you might expect it to attract bids in the £10/20 range if the bottle is pristine in terms of level, label and capsule. (Come back telling me whereabouts you are and I'll see if I know a local auctioneer who might be able to help.)

David
.  

Wine

David Ling