Wine/value of rare sherry

We have a bottle of J.Reyes y C A 50 year old Cream Sherry, it has some tin foil under the label. How much is this worth? Thank you.

Hi Charles,

I'm afraid I can't see significant value here as I don't think you'd find it easy to find a buyer lawfully but it might be worth asking Wine Commune for a professional opinion in case they can. (

My reservations are:

a) Sherries don't often interest collectors in the way that some fine wines do.
b) I don't think the potential sale value would reach the minimum value thresholds most auctioneers set and I'd be surprised if any merchant would buy a single bottle.

Reyes was an old-established firm that dates from 1810 but I don't think it still exists; your Sherry will not be 50 years old but made from a solera started 50 years before bottling.

I'd open it for the experience, perhaps with nuts after a meal; and then decide if you want to finish the bottle in the same way, can see a use for it in the kitchen - in a trifle - or want to dump it.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.