Wine/1945 bollinger

Hi there !  My father in law has a bottle of 1945  Extra Quality Very  Dry Renaudin Bollinger that his mother gave him after the war.  Is it worth anything ? We are in the cheshire area.  It seems clear, very hard to tell with such a thick bottle.  But held upnto the light we cant see any sediment. We don't know very much about wines or champagne so any help would be well received.
We were offered 100 pounds for it the other day, does this seem fair ?

Hi Dineka,

IF this bottle has always been stored lying down in a cool dark place and is pristine in terms of level, label and capsule it MIGHT fetch well into three figures GBP at auction. But there's no guarantee of that with such an old Champagne and you'd have to pay commission anyway so I'd accept the offer you have.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.