Wine/Fortnum & Mason Port

I have a Fine Old Ruby Port - on the label it says By Appointment to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II - Grocers and Provisions Merchants.  Fine Old Ruby (matured in wood)  Bottled for the Morgan Crucible Co LTD - Produce of Australia.  At the bottom of the label it says Fortnum & Mason London.  On the bottom of the bottle it has what looks like:
A 4 E
C  20

Can you tell me what it may be worth please?

Hi Angela,

Fortnum's always buy their own-label wines from reputable sources - as one might expect - so this probably came from one of the better second-tier producers such as Smith Woodhouse or Martinez but I'm afraid it is no more than a good Ruby that was bought in quantity as corporate gifts by Morgan Crucible (now Morgan Advanced Materials).

Thus it wouldn't be of much interest to collectors and not easy to sell for a significant sum.

I suggest you drink it!

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.