Wine/found unopened bottle of wine

Question
Hello Paul,
Cleaning out my Grandmother's house, I found a bottle that had fallen down behind a wall in her home that she has been in since early 1960's.  The bottle was in the upside down position so the cork probably did not dry out, and it was in a dark place.  The label says,  Jouvet Barsac White Bordeaux Wine vintage 1962.  Perhaps it holds no value but knowing a little about the bottle and maybe a little history might make interesting conversation.  Thanks for your attention.

Answer
Hi Douglas

This is interesting.  Normally dry white Bordeaux this old would be dead and gone.  But Barsac is a sweet wine like Sauternes, and it has the potential for living for quite a few years.

Of course, your storage was not ideal, so there is no hope that anyone would be tempted to pay vast amounts of money for this wine.  But there is a chance that it is still drinkable--and maybe even delicious.

When these wines are young, they are rich, sweet, and fruity. As they age, they slowly oxidize, and the color turns brown.  The sugar caramelizes and the wines dry out, but become much richer and more complex.

And then they slowly peter out all together.

There is no telling where your wine is in this progression--probably near the end.   But it will certainly be fun to find out !

hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner