Wine/Georges Fransac Cognac

Dear Paul,

I was given a bottle of George Fransac Cognac, and would like to know more about it - for my own edification, not to sell or anything. The label has the following information:

Imported by Frederick and Sons, New York City
Grande Champagne Extra
1er Cru de Cognac
Très Vieille Reserve
de la Maison
George Fransac
Produced and bottled by
G. Fransac. Chermignac France
Produce of France
43% ALC BY VOL, 750ML

The top of the bottle is sealed with black wax and stamped EXTRA.

Any idea what's inside?

George (no pun intended)

Hi George

George Fransac is the fifth generation to run his family's Cognac business, and they were among the first to truly market COgnac.  Your bottle is made from reserve Cognacs at the distillery, and it should be very nice--with notes of peach and pear, but also some lovely vanilla and caramel aromas.  I would estimate its value at about $150+

But George sold the company earlier this year to Chinese who knows what the new owners have in store for us!

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.