Wine/Pieroth 1998er Bornheimer Trappenberg Beerenauslese

Trying to find out if this wine is past it's prime? Seems very dark in color. Is there a general rule for german wines in their shelf life?

Hi Valerie,

This is a late-harvest Sylvaner from the Pieroth party-plan organisation but, even so, I wouldn't have expected a '98 to have darkened so soon if it had always been kept lying down in a cool dark place.

Most commercial German wine is intended for drinking on release but a few costly late-harvest ones from reputable named growers can keep for many years.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.