Wine/86 year old REYES CREAM SHERRY

A friend has given me a old bottle of REYES CREAM SHERRY that he bought in 1978 that is marked "50 years old" making it about 86 years old now.It's a "FINEST CREAM SHERRY",REYES SHERRY,20% alcohol. Does it have any value?Drinkable? Thanks   PS HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Hi Dennis

You are right about the age of this one.  But Sherries simply don't have the collectible value of some other fine wines.  And I would be worried that this might even have a bar-top cork:  1/2 cork, and a plastic disk on top.  

If it does, that won't make a good seal with the bottle, and the wine is probably oxidized more than most people would like.  It is still probably pretty tasty--with notes of hazelnuts, a very dark brown color, and less sweet than you might expect, because some of the sugar will have caramelized by now.

It you put it up for auction, it might get $100, but I doubt it.  And you would have to pay a 30% commission or so.

If if were mine, I would open on a special occasion in the next year or so, and enjoy it.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.