Wine/champagne quality/value

Have 2 bottles 'A.Rothschild & Co 'Grand reserve Brut.One 1976 the second 1979.
Kept in dark, room temperatures , standing and layed flat.
Will the contents be worthy of opening for celebration drink or are they at risk of going off ?
would they have any value as re-sale ?

Hi Nigel,

I'm afraid you'd be running a severe risk if you were to serve these at a celebration as they are now very old for any Champagne - even if you had always kept these cool instead of at room temperature.

Come back telling me whereabouts in the UK you are and I'll see if I know any auctioneer who might accept them.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.