Wine/Cockburn Port

I recently purchased this bottle  hoping it will surprise me .  The label is navy bluish with creamy to white lettering.  COCKBURN  is at the top  about 3/4 inches high.  followed by ALDOURO PORT,  Dark ruby in color and medium dry,  produced and shipped by Cockburn Smithes Co  Ltda, OPORTO.  
There is no vintage year on the bottle.  When tilted into the neck, the contents don't appear to be very dark in color.  Have you encountered anything similar?  Any ideas what I might expect when I open it?  Thanks , in advance.

Hi Bob,

I assume you bought this from an estate sale as I don't think the name Cockburn Smithes was used on labels after the company was acquired by Harvey's in 1962.

'Aldouro Port' is curious too as I've never seen such a label - although I've seen the name in an old advertisement for a Tawny Port from the 1940s.

Thus I think you have bought a VERY old Tawny and can look forward to an 'interesting' (!) experience when you open it.

I'd expect to find a drying wine with very little fruit character remaining to balance the fortification spirit. (It may also have developed an unpleasant sour note so hope for the best.)

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.