Wine/Mateus Rose

My father-in-law just passed away and we found an un-corked bottle of Mateus Rose with the US Forces stamp on it.  He was stationed in Europe during WWII. In googling the internet, I found a posting by you from 2010 in which you had the same bottle.  It looks like it's probably not worth anything, other than an interesting piece from that time period, but I was wondering if you have any additional info on this.  Thanks.

Hi Karyn,

I don't think I'll be able to add much to what you've seen, but all rosÚs are made to be drunk on release, while they retain the fresh, fruity character that the maker intended - and which make them so popular.

Thus I'm afraid there is no possibility of enjoyment from drinking the one you describe.

You are right to say that it has no value (as it would be impossible for you to sell lawfully) but you might want to keep it as a memento, rather than dumping it.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.