Wine/pairing w/venison liver

Question
This fall I successfully hunted a young doe. It is tradition to soak the liver in brine overnight to remove blood then to coat slices lightly with flour then sauteed in olive oil and butter mixture only a few minutes. the liver remains pink but fork tender. Of course that is accompanied by sweet onions, sauteed as well. This year they were vidalia onions. Cabernet, which is highly favored here to pair w/venison, was just too heavy. I'm thinking more on the white side. Can you help with a suggestion or two?
Thank you!

Answer
Hi Celia

This is a great question--and very timely, since I was just consulting with a restaurant yesterday about the very same dish!

We tried quite a few things, but the wine we liked the best was a Carneros Pinot Noir--a lot lighter than Cabernet, but still with enough body to stand up to the flavors of the liver.

The other option might be a Riesling from Germany or Alsace--they often serve similar dishes there with those wines.

Hope that helps!

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner