Wine/pairing w/venison liver

I'm a hunter and have a lovely fresh young deer liver which I sauteed w/sweet Vidalia onions. It is a light, sweet flavor.  The liver is fork tender. I have heard that venison is paired best with cabernet. That just seems too heavy. I'm thinking more on the white side but thought an expert opinion would be very helpful. I serve venison on the rare side as a rule.

Hi Celia,

Cab Sauvs might indeed be a bit tannic to go well with venison but I would stick to red. I suggest you think of a fruitier Pinot Noir or - my choice: a good Zinfandel such as Ridge or Ravenswood.

A Cotes du Rhone might work well too if you want to go French, or a Cote Roti (which will blend some white Viognier with red Syrah/Shiraz).

It's a shame I live so far away from you or I'd invite myself to sample your cooking!

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.