Wine/Random bottles

Question
QUESTION: Someone gave me the following bottles, all of which I am afraid have little or no value, or are now undrinkable.  Any advice welcome:

1) 1978 Dominique Lurton Chateau Reynier Bordeaux

2) 1959 Pierre Cartier Medoc

3) 1977 Baron Philippe de Rothschild Mouton-Cadet

4) 1978 Chateau Griviere Medoc

5) 1985 Barton & Guestier Saint-Emilion

6) 1959 Chateau Simard Saint-Emillion

ANSWER: Hi Richard

I hope you are a gambling man.  These are decent wines, but they were never meant to age this long.

Under perfect storage conditions some of them might still have a bit of life, but that's not likely.  In most cases these will have lost their fruit, color, and most of their charm.

But you have nothing to lose.  Open them up and see if any of them are still alive.

They won't have any value on the auction market ~ for the very reasons I have given you.  But there may be a surprise in one or two of the bottles.

Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your quick response!

One additional bottle that I forgot to include is a 1980 Louis M. Martini North Coast  Cab

Thanks again!

Answer
Hi Richard

This might be the best bet of the bunch.    Louis Martini wines were always very nicely balanced, and aged surprisingly well.  It won't be big and rich, but if it was stored well it should be quite pleasant.

Try it with a roast chicken or turkey...

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner