Wine/value of bottle of wine

I was given a bottle of wine as a gift and I am interested in selling it.  The label on the bottle says: chateau margaux grand vin 1959, premier grand cru classic, shipped by Schroder & Schyler.  I have had the wine for 14 years. It has been stored on its side, in a wood wine case in my dining room. Can you give me any advice on its value, and how I can go about selling it?
 Thank you for your time and expertise.

You have a bottle that could have been worth $500-$1000 but since it has not been stored in proper cellar conditions (52-58F, 50%RH) it is in all likelihood not still good and will be difficult to sell for anywhere near that value. Your best bet is to inquire with some of the online consignement/auction websites like winecommune or winebid. Good luck.

Joshua Farrell

I can answer most any question about wine- types, styles, grape varieties, regions, vintages, proper storage, production, wine and food pairing, wine service, decanting, proper glassware, serving temperatures etc. Regarding questions about specific bottles of wine, since I live in the U.S. my focus is on wines imported here. I can't answer questions about spirits and liquor valuations.

I have over 20 years of experience. I was a wine buyer and sommelier in NYC for many years including 4 years at Windows on the World which was NY's number one wine restaurant. I created and taught a Wine Appreciation Course at Borough of Manhattan Community College. I have worked for the past 15 years for the Wine Enthusiast Cos. as Editor, Columnist, Wine Storage Consultant and am currently Wine Director and Buyer for their online wine website, I recently judged in the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. Follow me on Twitter @WEX_Josh

Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Diversions Magazine

Windows on the World Wine School- completed all courses from beginning to advanced. Former member of the Sommelier Society of NY. Competed in the Food and Wines of France Sommelier Competition. Traveled to wine regions in Europe including, Bordeaux, Rhone Valley, Alsace, Tuscany, Piedmont, Veneto, Rioja, and Jerez. Visited wine regions in NY's Finger Lakes, California's Sonoma, Napa and Central Coast and Oregon's Willamette Valley.