Wine/1989 Ernest and Julio Gallo Reserve White Grenache

Question
Paul, I have a bottle of 1989 Ernest and Julio Gallo Reserve White Grenache.  I was just wondering what it might be worth.  I bought it when my daughter was born, in hopes of giving it to her when she got married.  I'm still waiting.  I also have a bottle of Chateau Gran Traverse Chardonnay Old Mission Peninsula 1987.  It was for my oldest daughter when she marries, and I'm sill waiting on that one as well. I'm not looking to sell, just curious.

Thank you so much!
Kristin

Answer
Hi Kristin

I don't have great news for you. This wine was light and fresh when it was bottled, but over the years it has lost most of that fruit, and is now well past its prime.  I don't think this one is a wine I would have selected to age for 21 years.  The Grand Traverse Chardonnay is also likely over the hill. I am sorry to give you the bad news.

In general, the best wines for aging this long are big powerful red wines or dessert wines like Port or Madeira.  I guess the good news is that your daughter's have aged much better than the wines!

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner